New Delhi: In a joint statement, India and China on Thursday said that the two sides have agreed to stay in close contact and maintain dialogue to work out a mutually acceptable resolution of the remaining issues at the earliest.
The statement comes as there was no breakthrough in the 14th round of talks between the militaries of India and China which was held at the Chushul-Moldo border meeting point on the Chinese side on Wednesday, news agency PTI reported.
Representatives from the defense and foreign affairs establishments of the two sides were present at the meeting, the joint statement informed.
“The two sides had a frank and in-depth exchange of views for the resolution of the relevant issues along the LAC in the Western Sector. They agreed that both sides should follow the guidance provided by the State Leaders and work for the resolution of the remaining issues at the earliest,” the statement read.
It was noted that the steps would help in the restoration of peace and tranquility along the LAC in the Western Sector and enable progress in bilateral relations.
According to the joint statement, the two sides also agreed to consolidate on the previous outcomes and make effective efforts to maintain the security and stability on the ground in the Western Sector including during winter.
“The two sides agreed to stay in close contact and maintain dialogue via military and diplomatic channels and work out a mutually acceptable resolution of the remaining issues at the earliest. In this context, it was also agreed that the next round of the Commanders’ talks should be held at the earliest,” the statement informed.
Indian Army Chief General MM Naravane had said on Wednesday that India was hopeful of resolving issues related to disengagement at Patrolling Point 15 (Hot Springs) in eastern Ladakh in the 14th round of talks.
He had also stressed that India will continue to fight against the Chinese People’s Liberation Army in a “firm, resolute and peaceful manner.”
“Along our northern borders, we have continued to maintain the highest levels of operational preparedness, while engaging in sustained dialogue with the PLA. We will continue to deal with the PLA in a firm, resolute and peaceful,” General Naravane said, as quoted by news agency ANI.
India-China LAC Standoff
The 13th round of talks, which had taken place on October 10 last year, had ended in a stalemate with the Indian Army saying its “constructive suggestions” were not agreeable to the Chinese side.
The eastern Ladakh border standoff between the Indian and Chinese militaries erupted on May 5, 2020, following a violent clash in the Pangong lake areas.
Both sides gradually enhanced their deployment by rushing in tens of thousands of soldiers along with heavy weaponry.
Following a series of military and diplomatic talks, the two sides completed the disengagement process last year on the north and south banks of the Pangong lake and in the Gogra area.
Currently, each side is reported to have around 50,000 to 60,000 troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the sensitive sector.
(With Inputs From Agencies)